The Insurance Division of the DC Office of Risk Management seeks to identify, mitigate, and monitor exposures on behalf of the DC government. It fulfills this mission in several ways, including:
- Managing the District's Captive Insurance Agency, which administers the District's hybrid self-insurance program while also underwriting medical malpractice liability insurance for qualifying not-for-profit health centers;
- Procuring insurance for the District;
- Reviewing contracts, agreements, grants, permits, and memoranda of understanding, amongst other contractual instruments, to determine the appropriate coverages and applicable limits;
- Assuring compliance with insurance requirements;
- Issuing self-insurance letters on behalf of the District;
- Managing property, builders risk, fine arts, and cyber liability claims; and
- Training District employees and interested third parties.
This division also serves as a general resource to all District agencies wishing to obtain policy and other guidance on protecting the District through insurance and other contractual risk management techniques.